Popularity of Artificial Sweeteners 1 of 10
Millions of people have turned to artificial sweeteners and sugar substitutes to cut down on calories while still enjoying sweetness in food and drinks.
- Most food and drinks labeled "sugar-free" or "diet" contain sugar substitutes.
- The list of products includes soft drinks, chewing gum, jelly, baked goods, candy, fruit juice and ice cream.
- Sugar substitutes are loosely considered to be any sweetener used in place of sugar.
- Artificial sweeteners are a type of sugar substitute.
- Other sugar substitutes include aspartame and various sugar alcohols.
(For the negative effects of artificial sweeteners, check out slide 9.)