Au Bon Pain

Au Bon Pain

About Au Bon Pain

Au Bon Pain is a fast-casual bakery and cafe chain headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. Louis Rapuano and Louis Kane founded the first Au Bon Pain in Boston in 1978. Since then, the chain has expanded throughout the U.S. and to India, South Korea and Thailand. In 1984, the first Au Bon Pain cafe outside of Boston opened in New York City. In 1991, the company went public as Au Bon Pain Co. Inc. In 1999, Au Bon Pain Co. Inc. sold its Au Bon Pain division to Bruckmann, Rosser, Sherrill & Co., which then sold it to Compass Group in 2000. Louis Kane was not a founder, since the Au Bon Pain in Fanueil Hall existed before he and Arthur Blasburg were involved in acquiring the interest of Pavaillier Machinery (manufacturers of the French equipment). According to Hoovers.com, in 2005, Au Bon Pain management purchased 75 percent of the company, while the Compass Group retained the remaining 25 percent.

Contributions by Redward1, SummerPhD, and 68.161.27.4.