The British Motor Corporation Limited, BMC was a Longbridge, Birmingham, United Kingdom based vehicle manufacturer, a new holding company formed in early 1952 to give effect to an agreed merger of the Morris and Austin businesses. BMC acquired the shares in both Morris Motors Limited and The Austin Motor Company Limited. Morris Motors Limited (the holding company of the productive businesses of the Nuffield Organisation) owned MG, Riley and Wolseley. The agreed exchange of shares in Morris or Austin for shares in the new holding company, BMC, became effective in mid-April 1952. On December 14, 1966 BMC changed its name to British Motor Holdings Limited or BMH. In turn BMH was to merge with Leyland in May 1968 becoming a major part of British Leyland Motor Corporation. BMC was the largest British car company of its day, with (in 1952) 39 percent of British output, producing a wide range of cars under brand names including Austin, Morris, MG, Austin-Healey, Wolseley as well as commercial vehicles and agricultural tractors. The first chairman was Lord Nuffield (William Morris) but he was replaced in August 1952 by Austin's Leonard Lord who continued in that role until his 65th birthday
Contributions by Malcolma, SteveBaker, and Eddaido.