Bryant-Denny Stadium

Bryant-Denny Stadium

About Bryant-Denny Stadium

Bryant Denny Stadium, located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, is the home stadium for the University of Alabama football team. The stadium opened in 1929, and was originally named Denny Stadium, in honor of former Alabama president George Hutchenson Denny. The stadium's name was amended to Bryant_Denny Stadium in 1975 after the Alabama legislature chose to honor famed Alabama coach Paul Bear Bryant. It has a seating capacity of 101,821, and is the second largest stadium in the SEC, the fifth largest stadium in the United States and the eighth largest non-racing stadium by seating in the world. Serving as a replacement for Denny Field, Denny Stadium opened on September 28, 1929, with 6,000 in attendance for a 55_0 victory over Mississippi College. It was officially dedicated the following week at Homecoming ceremonies against Ole Miss, a game the Tide would win 22_7. Originally, the stadium had a capacity of 12,000, though President Denny initially envisioned a full bowl stadium capable of seating 66,000 people. In 1937, the first expansion of the stadium added 6,000 seats along the east sideline to increase the capacity to 18,000. Further expansions in 1950, 1961, and 1966 raised the capacity to 25,000, 43,000, and 60,000, respectively. The first upper deck was added on the west side of the stadium in 1988, adding 10,000 more seats for a capacity of 70,123. During the construction, the Crimson Tide was forced to play its entire 1987 home schedule at Birmingham's Legion Field, 56 miles (90 km) from the Tuscaloosa campus