The Coates brush company was founded in 1847 by the original owner James Coate in London. In about 1875 the company was relocated to two factories one in Axminster, Devon and the other in Chard, Somerset where they continued making shaving, hair and toothbrushes. In 1941 the shaving brush company, A Simpson lost their factory during the blitz and in the spirit of wartime cooperation Coates allowed them to continue production at their water powered factory in Chard. During the war Coates managed to continue production even though some supplies where sourced from Germany, this was managed by having the goods exported from Germany to a neutral country then imported to the UK from that neutral country. After the war the companies worked very closely together and eventually Coates amalgamated with Simpsons in 1990, but the name still lived on in the range of shaving creams that they continued to produce.
Contributions by Mavarok, Drmies, and BattyBot.