Curio is a municipality in the district of Lugano in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. Curio is first mentioned in 1196 as Coira. In 1298 it was mentioned as Cuyri. During the Middle Ages Curio, Novaggio, Banco and Bedigliora formed a Kastlanei. The first village church, consecrated to St. Peter, was mentioned in 1352. The present church was built in 1609. Historically, many residents emigrated to foreign countries for work. Some of these emigrant families became quite famous. They include the family Avanzini (notaries, doctors, construction workers) and Visconti (architects and engineers), who worked, from the end of the 18th and over the entire 19th Centuries, in Piedmont and Russia. Their success led them to perform a number of philanthropic works in Curio. In the 19th and at the beginning of the 20th Century, this resulted in a number of charitable foundations. The most significant was the art school, which was founded in 1850.
Contributions by Tobyc75, D6, and PipepBot.