Delta Gamma is one of the oldest and largest women's fraternities in the United States and Canada, with its Executive Offices based in Columbus, Ohio. Delta Gamma was founded in December 1873, in Oxford, Mississippi, at the Lewis School for Girls near the University of Mississippi. The group was founded by Mary Comfort Leonard, Eva Webb Dodd, and Anna Boyd Ellington. The badge of Delta Gamma is a golden anchor and may be worn only by initiated members. Before the adoption of the golden anchor, the symbol of Delta Gamma was simply an 'H' for the word 'hope.' In 1877, the original 'Hope' badge was changed to the traditional symbol of hope, the anchor. Today's badge has a small rope wrapping around the top of the anchor, with the Greek letters Tau Delta Eta on the crosspiece. Delta Gamma's motto is 'Do Good,' and its flower is the cream rose. The Hannah Doll is their mascot. The early growth for Delta Gamma was confined to womens colleges in the southern United States.
Contributions by ImGz, Mremmel, and Dysepsion.