Gaines-Burgers, a brand of dog food, was introduced in 1961 by General Foods. The product consisted of individually wrapped patties of moisturized dog food which resembled a hamburger. Unlike hamburgers, the Gaines-Burgers could be stored at room temperature for long periods of time. The technique was later used for human foods. Production of Gaines-Burgers ceased in the 1990s. Gaines-Burgers were named after the former Gaines Food Company of Sherburne, New York, a major pet food company acquired by General Foods in 1943. In November 1982 General Foods introduced 'Improved Gaines-Burgers Cheese', advertised as made with cheddar cheese. The 'improved' reference relates to an earlier version of the product 'with cheese' marketed in the early 1970s.
Contributions by Addbot, Lightbot, and Dailynetworks.