The Humboldt University of Berlin is (together with Technical University Berlin) one of Berlin's oldest universities, founded in 1810 as the University of Berlin (Universitt zu Berlin) by the liberal Prussian educational reformer and linguist Wilhelm von Humboldt, whose university model has strongly influenced other European and Western universities. From 1828 it was known as the Frederick William University (Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universitt), and later (unofficially) also as the Universitt unter den Linden after its location. In 1949, it changed its name to Humboldt-Universitt in honour of both its founder Wilhelm and his brother, geographer Alexander von Humboldt. The first semester at the newly founded Berlin university occurred in 1810 with 256 students and 52 lecturers in faculties of law, medicine, theology and philosophy under rector Theodor Schmalz.
Contributions by Luckas-bot, Xqbot, and SmackBot.