McKinney is a city in and the county seat of Collin County, Texas, United States, and the second in population to Plano. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city's 2010 population was 131,117 making it the nineteenth most populous city in the state of Texas. The Census Bureau listed McKinney as the nation's fastest growing city from 2000 to 2003 and again in 2006, among cities with more than 50,000 people. In 2007 it was ranked second-fastest growing among cities with more than 100,000 people and in 2008 as third-fastest. On March 24, 1849, William Davis, who owned 3,000 acres (12 km) where McKinney now stands, donated 120 acres (0.49 km) for the townsite. Ten years later McKinney was incorporated, and in 1913 the town adopted the commission form of government. For the first 125 years of its history, McKinney served as the principal commercial center for the county.