J&W Nicholson & Co was a London-based gin maker. Founded in 1730s during the Gin Craze, the company stopped making gin in England 1941, and closed its premises Three Mills in 1966. The company was formed during the Gin Craze, based in Clerkenwell, mid-way between the grain mills and milling facilities located at Three Mills, and the Gin palaces in central London. After his retirement from amateur cricket, William Nicholson became company chairman. In 1864, the Marylebone Cricket Club purchased the freehold of Lord's Cricket Ground, paying all of the 18,333 6s 8d fee from monies advanced by Nicholson. Then, in 1889, the foundation stone was laid for the new Lord's Pavilion, paid for by a 21,000 loan from Nicholson. From its foundation in 1787 until this point, the MCC's colours had been sky blue, but changed around this date to the red and yellow, also the corporate colour scheme of Nicholson's.