Peace Sign

Peace Sign

About Peace Sign

The internationally recognized symbol for peace was originally designed in 1958 for the British nuclear disarmament movement by Gerald Holtom.Holtom, an artist and designer, made it for a march from Trafalgar Square, London to the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment at Aldermaston in England, organized by the Direct Action Committee to take place in April and supported by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND). Holtom's design was adapted by Eric Austen (1922–1999) to ceramic lapel badges. The original design is in the Peace Museum in Bradford, England. The symbol is a combination of the semaphore signals for the letters "N" and "D," standing for "nuclear disarmament".