Sao Bernardo Do Campo is a municipality in the state of So Paulo, in southern Metropolitan So Paulo and So Paulo microregion. The municipality's total area is 408.45 km and a population estimated at 1 July 2009, according to the IBGE, was 810,979 inhabitants, which results in a population density of 1,962.5 inhabitants / km . The city was founded by Joo Ramalho in 1553 and was known as Vila de Santo Andr da Borda do Campo de Piratininga, soon transferred to another nearby place, safer from hostile tribes. It is, however, historically perceived as the first Brazilian settlement built away from the sea. The original settlement was then resettled as So Bernardo, became a parish in 1812 and became a municipality in 1890. In 1938, it became a part of the Santo Andr district only to be separated again in 1945.
Contributions by 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, and Gcoliveira.