Tennessee State University (TSU) is a land-grant university located in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. TSU is the only state-funded historically black university in Tennessee. The University is a member-school of Thurgood Marshall College Fund. TSU was originally organized as the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School in 1909 and began serving students on June 19, 1912. Its status was raised to a four-year teachers' college in 1922, and two years later it was renamed the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal College. After another five years, 'Normal' was dropped from its name. It was elevated to university status in 1951, renamed the Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial University, and got full-fledged land-grant university status by the Tennessee State Board of Education in 1958. In 1968, the state legislature dropped the words 'Agricultural and Industrial' in favor of 'Tennessee State University.'
Contributions by Absolon, Epeefleche, and Pulmonological.