Theta Phi Alpha women's sorority was founded at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor on August 30, 1912. Theta Phi Alpha is one of 26 national sororities recognized in the National Panhellenic Conference. Originally a Catholic sorority, Theta Phi Alpha has opened its doors to women of all faiths and celebrates a proud tradition of religious diversity amongst its members. In early 1909 the organization, originally Omega Upsilon, was started as a sorority for Catholic women. Bishop Edward D. Kelly was the pastor of the student chapel at the university and saw a need for Catholic women to have a place to go for socialization and friendship. At the time, other sororities on campus openly discriminated against Catholic women and would not welcome them into their organizations. By the Spring of 1912, Omega Upsilon was failing financially and membership was low.
Contributions by 188.8.131.52, Freddiem, and ImGz.