Theta Xi Fraternity was founded at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York on 29 April 1864. Theta Xi was originally founded as an engineering fraternity, the first-ever professional Greek letter organization. The Fraternity is governed by the National Convention and established its headquarters in St. Louis in 1924. It became a general fraternity by a five-to-one vote of the membership at the National Convention on April 9, 1926. The official motto of Theta Xi is 'Juncti Juvant' which translates to 'united they serve.' The highest honor that a member of Theta Xi may receive is election to The Order of the Unicorn. All of the Founding Fathers of Theta Xi were originally members of the Sigma Delta secret society. It was one of the largest secret institutions at Rensselear Polytechnic Institute (RPI) at the time in 1863. The fallout of Sigma Delta at RPI began when George Brainerd presented his resignation to the society on October 30, 1863.
Contributions by Aaron charles, Jaheller, and 18.104.22.168.