University of Maryland Eastern Shore

University of Maryland Eastern Shore

About University of Maryland Eastern Shore

University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) located on 776 acres (2.5 km) in Princess Anne, Maryland, United States, is part of the University System of Maryland. UMES is a historically black university, as well as an 1890 Historically Black Land-Grant University. The University is a member-school of Thurgood Marshall College Fund. The school was founded in 1886 by through the offices of the Delaware Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was known as the Delaware Conference Academy. Later UMES came to be called Industrial Branch of Morgan State College and Princess Anne Academy. The State of Maryland, in operating its Land-Grant program at the Maryland Agricultural College at College Park, which did not admit African American students, sought to provide a Land-Grant program for African Americans. In 1919 the state of Maryland assumed control of the academy and changed its name to Eastern Shore Branch of the Maryland Agricultural College.

Contributions by Drew1914, Jaywubba1887, and Pubdog.