The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is a four-year state university located in Omaha, Nebraska. Founded in 1908 as Omaha University, the institution became the public Municipal University of Omaha in 1931. It assumed its current name in 1968 following a merger into the University of Nebraska. The institution has a strong tradition of serving commuter students from within Omaha, but in recent years has developed student housing. On October 8, 2008, the University of Nebraska at Omaha celebrated its 100th year of existence. The original Omaha University was founded in 1908 in the Kountze Place neighborhood of North Omaha. The first classes were located in the Redick Mansion, once at North 24th and Pratt Streets, from 1909 through 1917. Established a few blocks north of the Presbyterian Theological Seminary, most of the early faculty were recruited from Seminary teachers, as well as the faculty of Bellevue College.
Contributions by Freechild, Ebeyenne, and JeffTL.